- Group Discussion: I currently do group discussions whenever we are doing units like cyberbullying and online safety. We usually will watch a couple of videos and then have discussion about the students experiences and thoughts on it.
- Choices of assignments: I always try to give the students at least two options on what they can do for their independent work/project after we've done our group work together. This seems to work well for the students and I almost always get a large variety and not just everyone picking the same choice so its great!
- Self-assessment: I like to have the students do a self-assessment at the beginning of a new unit so they can rate themselves on their ability and list any experience they have with the program and/or skill. Depending on the length of the unit have them go back and redo it after a certain amount of time. Having them also explain what they need extra help with and what their strengths and weaknesses are is a great way to gauge where they are at and how they are feeling about things.
- Group work: Whenever we are learning a new concept we starte with whole group instruction as we're going over examples and they are getting down the steps. Sometimes group work is a great tool for projects/assignments and sometimes it can be a hindrance depending on the activity and the group of students! If I think it will be beneficial to work with a partner or small group I always give the option but sometimes I have them work independently.
- Videos and/or tutorials: If I can find a video or a tutorial on something that we've covered I always post it to my website so that students can use it as a reference to what we're working on. Many of them will watch it at the beginning of class to get a refresher of what we're working on!